home about contact recipe index faqs

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Simple Sweet Potato Pudding

Happy Halloween! In honor of Halloween, we're giving you an alternative treat to all the sugary stuff that will soon be invading your household. And it's even still festively orange!...

It may sound childish, but every once in a while I get this craving for one of those over-processed pudding cups that my mom used to put in my lunches when I was a kid. I never liked the tapioca version, but the smooth creaminess of chocolate or vanilla pudding still sometimes calls to me from the grocery store shelves. Recently, I had some leftover sweet potato puree from some baby food I was making, and I realized that its smooth texture was quite a bit like a pudding cup. So I started experimenting (and, of course, my recent obsession with pumpkin spice got pulled into play), and hit upon my new favorite healthy snack!

First, I have to confess that this isn't a true "pudding" in the sense of multiple steps involving milk, eggs, baking, chilling, etc. I really don't know how to make true pudding (unless you count instant pudding), but I know it's kind of complicated and often ends up in a disappointing result unless you have perfected it. This, on the other hand, is super simple (as in you can have it in your mouth in a matter of minutes!), super healthy (remember how we keep hearing how sweet potatoes are a "good carb"?!), and each bite delivers a sweet, smooth spoonful of pudding-cup delight!



Simple Sweet Potato Pudding
1 SERVING
PREP: 5-7 minutes           COOK: 25-30 minutes            READY IN: 35-40 minutes
(If you already have sweet potato puree on hand, the total time is about 3 minutes!)


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS

  • 3/4 cup sweet potato puree (see directions below for cooking and mashing)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • splash of vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or honey)
  • 1 tablespoon milk (I use vanilla soy milk)
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice quinoa granola (recipe link here)

DIRECTIONS


  1. For sweet potato puree: Wash 3-4 medium/large sweet potatoes, and cut off ends. Cut into pieces (about 1-inch cubed works well). Steam for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from steamer into a large bowl or blender and add back in about 1/2-3/4 cup of water (you can use the water leftover in the bottom of the steamer). Using the blender or an immersion blender, puree the sweet potatoes into a smooth puree. This can be frozen in small amounts (such as in an ice cube tray), or refrigerated for several days.
  2. Place approximately 1 cup of sweet potato puree (can be cold or warm, however you prefer) in a serving bowl. Mix in pumpkin spice, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and milk. Sprinkle with granola and enjoy!

NUTRITION FACTS



    3/4 cup serving (without granola)    193 calories   .5 g fat   48.8 g carbs    4.3 g protein    14.1 g sugar   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...