home about contact recipe index faqs

Friday, November 1, 2013

Mini Apple Pie Bites

November is here! Hard to believe, but it's really here! That means Thanksgiving and I tend to associate that with a growing waist band. I don't know about you, but I tend to indulge a lot more over the winter months, and get out of my exercise habits too. It's my mission to keep my pants buttoned up and looking good this season. Anyone with me?!

I have an incredible recipe, in my humble opinion, I'm sharing with you today. I think it's delicious, sweet, and cute. What more could you ask for in a dessert? It's bite-sized - so you can eat as much, or as little as you want. At under 50 calories a piece, I think you can have more than one with your Thanksgiving feast.


Apple Pie Bites
16 SERVINGS 
PREP: 25 minutes           COOK: 15 minutes            READY IN: 40 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


FOR THE CRUST:
  • 1/2 cup almond meal (or almond flour works too)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup ice cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
  • 1 cup diced skin-on apple (I used a granny smith apple, but any firm, sweet and tart apple would do) 
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS


FOR THE CRUST:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375ยบ.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together almond meal, flour, and cinnamon. Add the maple syrup, apple sauce and water. Stir until it forms a soft dough. Divide the dough into 16 even squares. Press the dough into the minimuffin pan (I used a large muffin pan, but only went about halfway up the sides). Use your fingers to press in the dough so that it lines the bottoms and sides of each well.
FOR THE FILLING:
  1. In a another medium bowl, mix together the apples, applesauce, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon. Spoon this apple mixture evenly on top of the dough mixture already placed in the muffin pan. 
  2. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edge of the tarts are lightly brown. Serve warm. Keep these in your refrigerator up to 3 days.

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 apple pie bite    43 calories   1.5g fat   6.7g carbs    1.1g protein    3g sugar   
To dress these up a bit for Thanksgiving, feel free to add a dollop of cool whip and sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top. Enjoy!

Recipe from Eating by Elaine.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...