home about contact recipe index faqs

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Indulgence Moment: Pumpkin Spice Cookies


I sure hope nobody's tired of my pumpkin spice obsession quite yet, because I'm not done (almost, but not quite!) I just can't move onto the next season's ingredient (watch out cranberries, here I come!) before I leave you with one more amazing bit of pumpkin spice goodness. Funny thing about these is they are all about the pumpkin spice - no pumpkin at all, just the spice. Which, I'll admit, is fine by me. I mean, I like pumpkin cookies just as much as the next pumpkin-lover, but adding pumpkin to cookies does end up making them into little pumpkin cakes that are fluffy and cake-like rather than chewy and cookie-like. These little guys are great, because by leaving out the pumpkin and being very generous with the pumpkin spice, you get a fantastic cookie-like cookie packed with all that spicy pumpkin flavor that it's really all about anyway.

I made these smaller than the traditional cookie - kind of like little two-bite cookies. This made them very shareable (and I like how eating small things makes them feel like they go that much further!) But, they would make perfectly lovely cookies of "typical" size as well. However you bake them up, I know you'll love this final (I think) salute to pumpkin!


Pumpkin Spice Cookies
3 1/2-4 dozen bite-size cookies (or about 1 1/2 dozen regular sized cookies)  
PREP: 15 minutes (+3 hours to refrigerate dough)     COOK: 8 minutes            READY IN: 3 1/2 hours (with chilling dough)


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1/2 cup butter, softened (I use salted - if using unsalted you may want to add a pinch of salt to taste)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (you could reduce the spice slightly if you prefer less, but I went all the way and it was heavenly!)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and egg until the dough is light and fluffy (5-7 minutes with an electric or hand mixer).
  2. Add the honey, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla. Mix, scraping the sides of the bowl, until smooth.
  3. Add flour, cornstarch, and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
  4. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 3 hours (or up to 5 days). 
  5. Once the dough is chilled, form heaping teaspoons of dough into balls and place on a baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart and flattening each ball just slightly. Place into an oven preheated to 350ºF and bake for 8-10 minutes. 
  6. Let cookies cool 5 minutes, then remove from baking sheet. 

NUTRITION FACTS



    2 mini cookies   106 calories   4.2 g fat   16 g carbs    1.4 g protein    7.4 g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...