home about contact recipe index faqs

Monday, November 18, 2013

Low-Sugar Cranberry Salsa


I warned you that cranberries were coming! When fresh cranberries start appearing on produce shelves this time of year, I can never resist buying bags of them to try out new ways to use the tart red berries. They are such a beautiful fruit, and even though they have none of the sweetness of a typical berry, they are one of those awesome ingredients that can take you in so many directions. I love adding them into sweet things like cookies or scones. They add a fantastic pop of flavor to my morning oatmeal. They are wonderful in savory dishes and salads. And of course I love including them in my fruit smoothies. Here, I decided to take them in the spicy direction, and I'm loving the result! Instead of your traditional cranberry relish, this cranberry salsa is simultaneously sweet, tart, and full of spicy zing (which you can adjust according to your "heat tolerance" - I'll admit, I love to turn up the spice). It was fantastic served with sweet potato corn chips, as well as with cinnamon-sugar pita chips. And since I'm kind of one to push the envelope when it comes to all the traditional Thanksgiving flavors (i.e. salt, pepper, and butter) ... I'm positive it would also be an exciting substitute for cranberry relish on your Thanksgiving turkey (though I can't promise your grandmother would approve).


Cranberry Salsa
10 SERVINGS 
PREP: 10 minutes           COOK: 0 minutes            READY IN: 10 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2-1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (depends on how strong your jalapeño is, and how hot you want it)
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 apple, finely chopped (I used a Gala)
  • 1/8 teaspoon stevia extract (or about 1 teaspoon honey or sugar)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice

DIRECTIONS


  1. Place half of the cranberries, chopped green onions, jalapeño, and cilantro in a food processor. Blend until all are finely diced, then add in the remaining of each ingredient and pulse the food processor a few more times. You should have a nice mixture, with everything diced, but not completely pureed. 
  2. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl with the diced apple pieces. Stir in the sweetener, lime juice, and orange juice. Mix well.
  3. Serve with your preferred chips ... or over your turkey!

NUTRITION FACTS



    1/4 cup serving    23 calories   0.1 g fat   6.2 g carbs    0.2 g protein    3.2 g sugar   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...