home about contact recipe index faqs

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ginger Pear Cranberry Smoothie


I've lately had a habit of making smoothies for myself for breakfast after I work out. Around our house, this usually means that my husband has breakfast with the kids, while I'm trying to fit in a workout and a shower before he leaves for work. I throw together my smoothie sometime mid-morning after I've wrestled my kids off me enough to dry my hair and put on at least a smidgin of makeup.  By the time I get to my breakfast, my kids are hungry again and think that my smoothie is just the thing to satisfy their yearning for "second breakfast." So, we sit ourselves down to the breakfast table, pull out a few straws, and share mommy's smoothie. It has actually turned into a nice time to sit for just a second with my kids and reset our morning in a positive direction (as my desperate attempts to fend them off while I get myself ready are typically not my best parenting moments).

I'm always on the search for new smoothie recipes to keep it interesting. This combination is full of seasonal flavor. The pear keeps it sweet and smooth, the cranberry lends a nice tartness, and the ginger-cinnamon bring it all festively together - almost like you're eating a holiday pie! And the spinach? Well that makes it green, of course, along with giving it a boost of super-healthiness! I will confess that in an effort to reduce our sugar, I've trained myself and my kids to have our smoothies without a lot of added sweetness, which is one of the reasons I like adding in other flavors like the ginger and cinnamon. If you feel that this comes out too tart for your taste, you could add in a small amount of sweetener (honey, stevia, or some other sweetener). but I'd definitely encourage you to try it "sugar-free!"


Ginger Pear Cranberry Smoothie
1-2 SERVINGS (depending on if you have children begging you to share!)
PREP: 5 minutes           COOK: 0 minutes            READY IN: 5 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 ripe pear
  • 1 cup fresh (or frozen) cranberries
  • 2-3 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup of your preferred milk (we usually drink plain or vanilla soy milk, but I tried vanilla coconut milk with this recipe)
  • 1-2 dashes ground ginger
  • 2-3 dashes ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS


  1. Place all the ingredients in your blender, with the spinach on bottom. 
  2. Blend until the cranberries are well blended. 
  3. Serve and enjoy!

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 unshared smoothie   210 calories   2.6 g fat   45.9 g carbs    6.7 g protein    24.8 g sugar   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...