home about contact recipe index faqs

Friday, November 15, 2013

Recipe Refresh: Chili Con Queso


I love a good challenge, and these recipe refreshes do just that. I've always found ways to make recipes healthier by adding in the reduced or non-fat ingredients. My husband is probably sick of it, but he'll thank me later, he just doesn't know it yet! :)  I'm a sucker for cheese dips, but knowing how much fat and calories they have just isn't appetizing to me. So I decided to "lighten" up one of the best dips, chili con queso! I can't test to see if my baby likes it yet, but it's been husband approved.


Chili con Queso
10 SERVINGS 
PREP: 5 minutes           COOK: 8 minutes            READY IN: 13 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 tablespoon butter (I used Yogurt Based Brummel and Brown)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onion
  • 1 - 10 oz. can Ro-tel tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 cups lowfat evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute the onion and tomatoes until tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add in cilantro, evaporated milk, and greek yogurt. Stir to combine. 
  3. Add in cheese and stir until it is melted. 
  4. Serve warm with your favorite chips or crackers.
*Best if kept warm when serving so it doesn't 'harden' up

NUTRITION FACTS



  1/4 cup   108 calories  5g fat  6g carbs   10g protein   1g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...