home about contact recipe index faqs

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Honey Baked Acorn Squash


I have this favorite produce market near where I live, and when I say "favorite" what I mean is "I love this place and will miss it more than almost anything when we move away from here."  It's called the Milk Pail, and is an open-air market that sells produce, milk, gourmet cheeses, and a number of other imported and otherwise interesting items. The thing I love most about it is you can always find phenomenal deals on in-season fruits and vegetables, many of which I might not otherwise think to buy. The other day they had a deal on acorn squash - 4 for a $1, or some other ridiculously cheap price. I, of course, couldn't resist, and bought myself 4 of the cute squash, not really knowing what I would do, but looking forward to some healthy creativity. More than a week went by, though, and I knew I'd better get to those squash or I'd lose my chance. Luckily, I saw this beautiful picture (I confess, I sometimes swoon over pictures of vegetables) as I was roaming recipes on the internet, and knew I'd found the fate for my acorn squash.

The thin slicing of the squash made for a beautiful and simple way to prepare this sweet and spicy side dish. My son and I enjoyed working together on this - he helped me cut out the squash centers using cookie cutters (we experimented with a star shape, as you can see), as well as helping baste (or "paint") the squash with olive oil and sprinkling on salt and pepper (I had to rein in his enthusiastic salt and pepper-shaking a couple of times, which did result in some extra-spicy pieces!) It was fun, though, to work together, and it also meant that he was a little more brave when I encouraged him to try the finished product.

Honey Baked Acorn Squash
4 SERVINGS 
PREP: 10 minutes           COOK: 20-25 minutes            READY IN: 35 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1-2 small/medium acorn squash
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1-2 tablespoons honey
  • salt
  • freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS


  1. Cut acorn squash into 1/2 inch rounds. Using a cookie cutter or knife, cut the seeds and string from the center of each piece.
  2. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil (or cooking spray). Arrange the squash rounds on the baking sheet, and baste each with a light coating of olive oil. 
  3. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each round, followed by a drizzle of honey on each (I used our honey bottle to squeeze out a single line of drizzle around each circle).
  4. Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes, then flip each over and drizzle a bit more honey. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the tops have just started to look toasted or caramelized.

NUTRITION FACTS



     2-3 squash pieces   89 calories   3.6 g fat   15.6 g carbs    .9 g protein    4.3 g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from bread & honey
Linking up here.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...