home about contact recipe index faqs

Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Quinoa Granola


This fall, I've become obsessed with pumpkin spice. It might have started with a recent trip to Trader Joe's when I came across - and of course had to have - pumpkin spice granola. It was amazing, and may have been my pumpkin spice downfall this year which has been leading me to put pumpkin spice in just about everything I can think of. To curb the temptation to go back and buy a cart-load of the seasonal granola at Trader Joe's, I of course had to see if I could replicate the stuff myself (as well as make it healthier in the process). I discovered a great recipe, which I tweaked only slightly by including raisins as TJ's did, and using beautiful red quinoa (mostly for the color enhancement - it is such a gorgeous contrast to the oats and gives it such a nice fall look... sorry, sneak peek into my brain there!) The granola is fantastic, and is great for snacking, with milk, or as the perfect topping to other fall-flavored treats that I've been concocting. (I can't wait to share my super-healthy sweet potato pudding that I've been pairing it with lately!)


Pumpkin Spice Quinoa Granola 

 Makes 3 2/3 cups 
PREP: 10 minutes           COOK: 25-30 minutes        READY IN: 40 minutes



  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (I used red), rinsed and lightly dried over a paper towel
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxmeal
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (or other seed - I used half pepitas, half sunflower seeds)
  • 1/4 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a medium-large bowl combine the oats and rinsed quinoa in a bowl and mix. Spread them onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes in the oven at 325ºF.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine honey, pumpkin puree, oil, and spices.
  3. Turn down the oven temperature to 300ºF, remove the oats and quinoa from the oven, and combine with the seeds, nuts, and raisins in the larger bowl. Pour the wet mixture over these and combine well. 
  4. Spread everything onto the baking sheet again, and place in the oven for another 25-30 minutes. Halfway through, use a spatula to turn over the granola, allowing it to bake more consistently.
  5. When the granola appears slightly golden, remove from the oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container for several days.

NUTRITION FACTS



    1/3 cup serving    151 calories   5.5 g fat   23.7 g carbs    3.8 g protein    10.6 g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.
Linking up here.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...