home about contact recipe index faqs

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Recipe Refresh: Cornbread

We've already talked about how I prefer cinnamon rolls with my chili, but the hunt still continues as I try to make them even somewhat healthy. :) Before we started this blog, I swore by Jamie Cooks It Up's cornbread recipe. It's delicious, but I knew it wasn't the healthiest of cornbread. And was I right! 222 calories per piece! Woah momma! With my refresh, I was able to whittle this down to 73 calories per piece and you can see more of the nutritional comparisons below the recipe.

I added some whole grains and whole wheat flour, substituted applesauce for oil and honey for sugar, and voilà: Healthier Cornbread! Now we can eat cornbread and feel good about all the whole grains and nutrients we are getting (...at least that's what I tell myself). Since I substituted applesauce for oil, it makes the cornbread more moist than dry. I like it, but I realize a softer cornbread may not be for everyone so you may want to use 1/4 cup oil instead.


Recipe Refresh: Cornbread
16 SERVINGS 
PREP: 10 minutes           COOK: 25-30 minutes            READY IN: 35-40 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's white whole wheat)
  • 3/4 cup whole grain cornmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS


  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 9x9-inch baking pan.
  2. In a mixer combine eggs, milk, applesauce and honey. Mix until well blended, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder and mix for a couple minutes.
  4. Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 piece    73 calories   .8g fat   14.1g carbs    2.5g protein    3.4g sugar   

Original RecipeRefresh Recipe
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup whole grain cornmeal
1/8 cup honey
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
222 calories per piece73 calories per piece!!
10.5g fat, 29.3g carbs, 3.5g protein, 13.6g sugar .8g fat, 14.1 g carbs, 2.5 g protein, 3.4g sugar

I'll let you know when I've found that cinnamon roll recipe, but in the meantime... Enjoy!
Linking up here.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...