home about contact recipe index faqs

Friday, December 6, 2013

Steak Roll-Ups

Have you ever been told not to play with your food?

Have you said that to your children?

Well this tasty dish allows just that and they are best eaten with your hands! Cooking is always more fun with you can get creative with your food. I wanted to show off my skills to my husband so I decided to use my fancy mandolin to slice my vegetables. I apparently got too cocky and sliced my finger. ouch. It wouldn't stop bleeding, so he had to finish cooking as I gave him instructions (so its not TOO hard). I admit, it's not the best way to get your husband to cook for you, but hey I'll take it!

I'm not a huge fan of balsamic vinegar, but the glaze was pretty tasty so I'd recommend giving it a try. I might serve it just with steak sauce next time. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Kaitlyn, she introduced me to Sweet Baby Rays sauce. I could drink the bottle. It makes everything better.


Steak Roll-Ups
2 SERVINGS (makes about 5 rolls) 
PREP: 30 minutes           COOK:10 minutes            READY IN: 40 minutes

  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 lb skirt steak or thinly sliced sirloin
  • Steak Seasoning of your choice (I just used seasoning salt)
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 zucchini
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning 
Balsalmic Glaze (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup beef broth

DIRECTIONS


  1. Trim your meat and pound it with a meat tenderizer. Cut meat into 2-3 inch strips (going along the length of the meat). Sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and steak seasoning of your choice. Set aside in fridge for 30minutes. 
  2. Cut vegetables into thin strips, I just used my simple slicer mandolin to do this, but a knife works too. Make the length of your vegetables a little wider than your steak strips. 
  3. Peal and finely chop your garlic. 
  4. Saute vegetables and garlic in a pan with a little olive oil for about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with italian seasoning and set aside.
  5. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, start making your glaze. Melt the butter. Add in shallots, vinegar, sugar and beef broth. Cook until shallots are transparent and then set aside. 
  6. Now the fun part. Take your steak and place in a good amount of the vegetables. Roll the steak and secure with a toothpick. Repeat step for remaining steak strips. 
  7. On medium heat add a little oil, just enough to coat the pan. Add in your rolls. Cook each side until brown, or your desired doneness for steak. 
  8. Serve with balsamic sauce spooned over the top. Don't forget to remove the toothpick before digging in!

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 roll w/o glaze    130 calories   6g fat   3g carbs    14g protein    2g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from http://picturetherecipe.com

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...