home about contact recipe index faqs

Friday, December 13, 2013

Gluten Free Almond Sugar Cookies

In my effort to cut down on processed sugar in our baking at home, it's a little hard to make the traditional sugar cookies that the kid's crave this time of year. I found this great alternative to sugar cookies on Detoxinista and modified it to use what I have in my pantry. The result was fabulous-- though I'm not sure my children were impressed by the lack of color in the frosting. We may have to work on that! The coconut flavor combined with the almonds is perfect. These almost reminded me of the Samoa Girl Scout cookies. Sounds strange, because there's no chocolate or caramel, but that's immediately what my mind went to when I first tried them. If you'd like, you can use raw honey instead... it would help the frosting "set up" a little more.


Gluten Free Almond Sugar Cookies
18 SERVINGS 
PREP: 20 minutes           COOK: 8-10 minutes            READY IN: 30 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


FOR THE COOKIES:
  • 2 cups almond meal (I used Trader Joe's)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened (or use butter instead, but the coconut gives these a wonderful flavor!)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  •  
FOR THE FROSTING:
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine sea salt

DIRECTIONS


  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
  2. In a mixing bowl, mix together cookie ingredients until well combined. 
  3. Line cookies sheets with parchment paper and form cookie dough into 15 equal round balls. Place on the parchment paper and press down with your hand. 
  4. Place in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. They will not look done, but they probably are. If you cook them for much longer, the bottoms will burn.
  5. Let the cookies cool for 30 minutes.
  6. While they're cooling, make the frosting. This doesn't seem like much frosting, but it's the perfect amount for these cookies. :)

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 serving    122 calories   9.8g fat   8.1g carbs    2.3g protein    6.2g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Detoxinista.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'm looking forward to trying these since I can actually eat these with all of my restrictions!

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...