home about contact recipe index faqs

Monday, January 13, 2014

Healthy Breakfast Burritos


Keeping with the theme of this month's Healthy Habits Challenge, I'd like to share with you one of my favorite pre-workout meals. Since I work out in the mornings, I like to make sure that my breakfast is packed with carbohydrates as this will give me the energy to make it through my workout and make sure I'm burning fat rather than muscle.

Since I like to eat about 90 minutes before a workout and my mornings can be a tad crazy getting kiddos ready and all loaded in the car so we're on time for school drop off, I make these ahead of time and freeze them individually, wrapped in foil. All I have to do is heat them up (take off the foil first), wrapped in a wet paper towel, for about 45 seconds on a reduced power (I do 7). I drizzle salsa over it and within minutes, I've eaten a healthy and nutritious meal.

Even if you're not headed to the gym in the mornings, this is a great on-the-go breakfast for those busy mornings. Instead of drizzling the salsa on top, feel free to put it in the burrito to make it more transportable. :)

Healthy Breakfast Burritos
15 SERVINGS 
PREP: 15 minutes           COOK: 15 minutes            READY IN: 30 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


  • 15 eggs
  • 1 lb. ground chicken sausage
  • 1 small green pepper
  • 1 small red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 15 whole wheat tortillas
  • Salsa for topping

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage. Stir occasionally until cooked all the way through.
  3. Add whisked eggs to the skillet and mix with the sausage.
  4. Once eggs are cooked, add the peppers and black pepper. Mix together.
  5. Lay out one tortilla, and put the egg and sausage mixture in it. Roll up and drizzle salsa on the top, if desired.

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 serving    219 calories   7.5g fat   23.2g carbs    15g protein    .7g sugar   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...