home about contact recipe index faqs

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Every spring, my mother would whip up a rhubarb crisp so I'm somehow conditioned to want to do the same everytime I see rhubarb show up in the market. :) Fun fact on this crisp, though... my mom brought me rhubarb fresh from her garden all the way from Nebraska. I'm so spoiled and there's nothing better than garden fresh food. I really wish I would have the patience for my own garden, but I'm working on it. This year, we planted 8 plants (a mixture of tomatoes and zucchini). If they fair well, I'll consider growing my garden space next year. Until then, I'll support the local farmers. Someone has to do it, right? :) Anyways, this is a nice and sweet treat that tastes delicious and doesn't cost you too much in calories.

Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
12 SERVINGS 
PREP: 25 minutes           COOK: 55-60 minutes            READY IN: 1 hour 25 minutes


  SIMPLE         HEALTHY      YUM
pic name       pic name      pic name

INGREDIENTS


STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FILLING
  • 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cubed
  • 1 pound rhubarb (about 5 stalks), cut into bit-sized pieces
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
CRISP TOPPING:
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup white-whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a 9x9 pan, mix together the ingredients for the strawberry-rhubarb filling (strawberries, rhubarb, honey, cornstarch and vanilla).
  2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the crisp topping ingredients (butter, oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and yogurt). 
  3. Crumble the crisp topping mixture on top of the strawberry-rhubarb filling.
  4. Bake for about 55-60 minutes, or until baked completely. Serve with a dollop of cool whip, or greek yogurt.

NUTRITION FACTS



    1 serving    123 calories   .8g fat   28g carbs    2.5g protein    14.4g sugar   

Enjoy!
Recipe from COOKIE + kate

No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...